Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Crafting for Baby - DIY Diaper Rash Cream from ABC Learning


I'm really excited about today's post. I've become quite interested in all natural and/or homemade products. I'm already washing my face with oils, using all natural mineral makeup, making my own cleaning products, and a few other things, so this post from ABC Learning is right up my ally.
____________________________________________________________


DIY Diaper Rash Cream


I'm so excited to be here today at Someday Crafts! My name is Victoria and I blog over at ABC Creative Learning about homeschooling, allergy friendly recipes, and DIY homemade items. I love crafting and until recently was known to make bows, necklaces, and embroidery items for children. But, today I wanted to share something different with everyone. Lately, I've been learning more and more about making my own items for my little girls who are 2 and 4 years old. My oldest daughter having several food allergies and both suffering from eczema I've had to be creative and careful when it comes to applying things on their sensitive skins. That's why today I wanted to share an easy DIY Diaper Rash Cream that has helped us in the past with preventing and healing a diaper rash.


Homemade Diaper Rash Cream





















Ingredients needed to make your own Diaper Rash Cream:
  • 1/4 cup of Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
  • 3/4 cup of Raw Unrefined Organic Shea Butter
  • 5 drops of Lavender Essential Oils (100% essential oils, we use Young Living)
  • 3 drops of Melaleuca Essential Oils (100% essential oils, we use Young Living)
  • Glass container to store with lid (no plastic)
  • 1 tablespoon of beeswax (optional)
What will these ingredients do?
  1. Coconut oil is just absolutely amazing and you can use for anything! It has antifungal properties and will help with keeping the skin healthy.
  2. Shea butter will help with keeping the skin smooth.
  3. Lavender is known as the universal oil and helps to moisturize the skin.
  4. Maleluca is also known as Tea Tree Oil and it helps with immune system and very beneficial for skin use.


Coconut Oil and Shea Butter for Rash Cream






















Step 1: Combine the coconut oil and shea butter in a clean glass bowl. Using a handheld mixer mix together both ingredients until light and fluffy.

Step 2: Add your 3 drops of Melaleuca and 5 drops of Lavender essential oils.

Step 3: Using the handheld mixer blend everything together.

Rash Cream

Step 4: Using a clean spoon scoop out your Rash Cream into a clean glass container. Please, do not use plastic when using essential oils. Oils draw toxins out of our bodies and it will do the same for plastic items.

This will make a nice and smooth cream for your babies bottom. I apply a bit on my youngest daughters bottom after taking a bath and we haven't had a diaper rash issue in a very long time. I just wished I had known about this when she was younger because she had the worse diaper rash I had ever seen, even while using cloth diapers!

Alternative Diaper Rash Cream using Beeswax:
If you are looking for a thicker consistency, more like paste you could add beeswax. Unfortunately, I have some on the way so I wasn't able to show pictures but it's very simple and similar to the previous cream.

Instead of mixing everything together with a blender, you will first add the coconut oil, shea butter, and the beeswax into a clean sauce pan and melt everything together. You will then pour into a small glass bowl, add your essential oils, and then with a mixer you will blend everything until nice and creamy. Pout into a small glass jar with a lid and allow it to firm up and cool.
Remember, a little goes a long way!

Natural Baby Rash Cream

I really hope that you enjoyed reading and will try making your own natural diaper rash cream for your babies or young children!

If you would like to check out some of my other DIY blog posts, please head on over to ABC Creative Learning blog or come follow me on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest! Thank you to Michelle for having me over at Someday Crafts!

VICTORIA Signature no email

_______________________________________________________________

Thanks Victoria! I've got *most* of these products on hand (except the shea butter) and I can't wait to whip some up. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe with us!!



4 comments:

  1. I wonder how this would work on winter eczema? Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenna! This would work amazing on eczema as well!! I also have a different recipe on my blog that I use for my daughter :) Thanks for checking it out!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the nice info! I will definitely try this. My baby is 2 months old and i use disposals she has diaper rashes i think i should switch it to cloth diapers may be it may work. My friend told me about this.
    Baby cloth diapers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of making your own diaper rash cream - that way you know just what's in it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I always like to know what you think of the projects I highlight!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...