Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Knit Hat Into Skirt/Cowl?

Knit Hat turns into a Skirt!
Tutorial #2 from ME!!! A tutorial in real life. (Kids assisting, cluttered house, average camera, bad lighting!)

The other day I saw knit hat at the dollar store that I liked. I thought, "I bet I could make that into a cute little winter skirt for Cadence (My daughter). " I bought it and this is what I did with that hat!

First, my son models the hat as a hat! Looks nice!
Then I got a skirt of my daughter's that I made from a patriotic dish towel and laid in underneath the hat to see how long I should make it. I cut it about 3 inches taller than the skirt.
I turned the hat inside out of what I wanted to be shown on outside. (This is tricky to decide. Due to the way one wears hats like this, they make the seam on the inside down so far and then make the seam on the other side because you flip the hat back.) Because it is knit, I decided to use the largest zigzag stitch on my sewing machine, so it could give/stretch a little. I sewed the cut edge abour 3/8 to 1/2 inch under all the way around. Make sure to backstitch at the beginning and end.
When I took it out from the machine, I noticed it was kind of ruffly, scalloped and flaired (I'm not sure how to describe it.) Where I had sewed was a little bulky with with ragged edges showing in some places. I decided to zigzag stitch around the hat again - just inside of the first stitch to make sure it didn't come unravelled. After the second stitches, I cut the fragments that what were making it bulky. (You can see the second set in the background.)
I turned the hat/skirt inside out and tried it on my daughter. This is how it looked. Yes, she insisted on standing in front of the dishwasher!!! Isn't the bottom cute?
Then I said, "Let's flip it the other way." So we did! This is what it looked like that way. The original hat seam is in the back. It shows a little when she wears it this way, but could be worn in the front and covered by an embellishment like a felt flower or something else. I also thought, "Wow! I could wear that as a faux turtleneck sweater/cowl." That's what it looked like when I put it on my neck. (Does anyone else feel silly taking pictures of themselves for a tute? I don't know if I should only show the cowl or part of my face or what! Such decisions.)
I put on a button-up shirt and wore it underneath. Looks like a turtleneck sweater, but without the bulk!!! This would be great for some of the more form fitting shirts that you don't want bulky layers under, but still want this type look.
I didn't know what that hat would turn out as, but I like the results. What can you make with a knit hat?

post signature

10 comments:

  1. I love it as a crowl/turtleneck. Very clever! Did you get my email BTW?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute fun idea. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. way cool! very creative uses!
    Happy Thanksgiving
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute project. Your kids are too cute! I do feel silly when I take pics of myself. My Daughter does it all the time. I just feel goofy and the picture shows it! I hope you are your Family have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how one thing can be used in two ways! Sweet! Have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how your mind works! The skirt looks super cute both way and it works as a sweater top too!! Very cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is excellent. I love the cowl for grown ups! (no little girls here, but it is too cute.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I always like to know what you think of the projects I highlight!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...