Friday, July 15, 2011

Guest Blogger - Willow Bean Studio - Pottery Barn Kids' Grocery Store Knock-off


Hi Someday Crafters!



I'm Jennie From








I am Michelle's Guest Blogger for the day.
I am so excited to be here. Someday Crafts was one of the first craft sites
I came across when I discovered the world of craft blogs.






I am a Personal Assistant by Day

And Crazy Crafter by night ... LOL




I am married to my best friend and we are blessed with 2 incredible kids
My son is 7 and my daughter is 2 1/2.

Here are a few projects you will find on my blog.








Grosgrain Ribbon Flower Tutorial






Every Wednesday We Work on Slip Covering A Piece of Furniture






Upcycled Shirt Dress Project





Today I'm going to show you how to knock off the



Pottery Barn Kids grocery store.




First, my husband constructed a wooden frame from 1" x 2"s.
He used angle brackets to secure the corners of the frame.

The finished frame measured 49 1/2" tall, 24" wide, and 19" deep.




Then I began covering the frame with canvas;
you could also use a drop cloth, old drapes, or even bed sheets
would work for making the frame cover.



First I pinned a 1 1/2 yard long piece to the frame.

I made sure to place the selvage edge along the right back edge and pinned it to my frame.

By placing the selvage edge along the outer frame, I save myself from having to clean finish that edge.



I then folded the fabric, allowing for some seam allowance, along the right front corner.

(see above far right photo)


Using straight pins, I pinned along the frame edge; this will be my sew line.
After I sewed along my pin line, I used my sewing sheers to slice open the fold.



Press your seams open and you are ready to cover the left side.



Again, make sure you line your selvage edge along the left back side and pin to frame.
Pin along the left front corner to create your sew line.

Run through your machine making sure not to run over any pins.

Cut off extra fabric along seam and press open.

Hem the bottom pressing under a 1/2" and then fold over an 1" .
Top stitch to give your hem a clean finished edge.



Next, I printed out the letters to spell the word-

"GROCERY"

I just played in Microsoft Word, experimenting with different font styles
and sizes till I found the one I liked.

"Heat n Bond" was ironed to my fabric.
I pinned my computer printed letter pages to the fabric
and cut them out.

I peeled off the backer paper exposing the adhesive.

Pin the covering to the frame with your hem line flush with the floor.

Pin the letters to the front of your store.
Positioning them to fit your taste.

Use straight pins to secure the letters until you can iron them in place.
I used a 1/4" wide grosgrain ribbon to outline the store front window opening.



I eyeballed the placement of the ribbon while the cover was pinned to the frame.

Just fold the ribbon over when you reach the corners.

I edge stitched around both sides of the grosgrain ribbon to secure in place.




To make the windowsill, I pressed a 3" wide piece of tan fabric to the heat n bond.

I made sure the piece was longer than the window opening.



Remove the paper backing and position your windowsill while the covering is pinned to the frame.

Remove fabric covering from frame and iron to fabric windowsill in place.




The greatest part about using the "Heat n Bond" is that if you want you can leave the
sill as is. There is no need to finish off the applique edges.

I chose not to finish off the edges of my letters because I felt it took away from the print I used.

But, I used a satin stitch to go around the edge of my windowsill to add a little dimension.




I also thought this opening would see a lot of wear and tear,
so by finishing off the edge I am strengthening the opening.

At this point, you may add the roof to your store.

I attached a piece of ribbon that was 18" long to the outer corners of my store to form the "ties".




These "ties"will be used to secure the cover to the frame.
I also placed some in the seams above and below the window frame opening.



We are almost done!




At this point, I gave the frame cover one last good pressing.

Place it over your frame and tie into place.



Using tiny sheers, I cut along the inner edge of my window -
Making sure not to cut into the ribbon or the fabric windowsill.




The store is now completed!



We are OPEN and ready for business!



If we could only get some customers ... LOL!

I would just like to thank Michelle again for allowing me the opportunity
to share this post with all of you.

Hope you enjoyed this tutorial and will stop by my blog to follow along with my latest creations.





THANKS, JENNIE! My kids would love a grocery store. Whenever we go to a kids' musuem that has a grocery store, they spend the most time playing there! This is a great knock-off!


Head over to Willow Bean Studios to see all the great creations and ideas there!

1 comment:

  1. I love your little grocery store! It's so cute!!!!

    I would love to see you share it on my new link party "Sundae Shake Up". I hope to see you there!

    Jacque @ Jacque's Soda Parlor

    thesodaparlor.blogspot.com

    P.S. I am having my first giveaway, right now! The winner will receive a 16x20 Custom Family Tree. You should check it out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I always like to know what you think of the projects I highlight!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...