Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Guest Blogger - Home Sweet Home - Magnetic Frame

I am so excited to be able to guest post on Someday Crafts today!
To be featured among the ideas and posts from Michelle and other bloggers who I follow is an honor.
My name is Brandy and I love being a stay at home mother to three precious children. We are a Coast Guard family and are enjoying the ride! We've lived in California, Alaska and Ohio.
My blog, Home Sweet Home, is a compilation of the things I love to do in my free time. I create lots of crafts with my children. I also have recipes, party ideas and decorating idea. Our creative fun really took off when we lived in Kodiak, Alaska. We loved living up there. If you haven't been to Alaska, you must plan a trip. There is no beauty that can compare. We lived just minutes from the ocean and enjoyed many beach days, sunny days, and fun outdoors. But there is always a catch---otherwise everyone would be living up there! Wind, rain, fog, and already long and dark winters created lots of time for indoor crafts. Oftentimes with friends! My kids were the perfect ages to start doing fun projects and quickly caught the creative bug! We've been having a blast ever since.
We are now living in the Columbus, Ohio area. Kaylee, the newest addition to our family 16 months ago has caught the bug as well. We can't keep that child away from markers, crayons, walls to color on, etc. :)
These are some of the fun crafts on my blog:
I'd like to share a craft that I recently made for my parents. They live out in Utah and we don't get to travel out there very often. Blogs, e-mails and photos in the mail help them stay apart of the kid's lives through pictures. I'd seen pictures on the web of little frames like this, but never a tutorial. With a little help from my husband (an expert in power tools, lol) I created one of my own to send to them.
To begin, I came up with the dimensions that I wanted for the board size. This one is 9x10. I wasn't sure where to find a piece of metal to fit so my husband cut me a piece of 6x8" galvanized steel, with snips. He did a great job! 6x8 was perfect for a 5x7 photo or a couple of smaller photos. He buffed out the finish to make the circular design.
I painted the board with acrylic craft paint. Front, back, sides.
While that dried, I cut out letters with my cricut using the Jasmine cartridge. You could use vinyl letters as well, but since I was going to mount this on scrapbook paper anyways, it just made sense to use paper.
After the paint dried, I cut a piece of scrapbook paper and adhered it to the board with a thin coat of mod podge. Love this stuff!
Once that dried, I added another layer of mod podge on top of the paper and adhered my letters to that.
You can see that the paper is bubbling here. That is just because it hasn't dried completely. It was completely smooth when it dried.
Since I was using galvanized steel, it would be impossible to just hammer in my tacks. I pre-drilled the holes, then used tacks (found at Lowe's. A box for .99) to attach the steel. I love the copper ones against the steel.
Finally, I attached some wire to the back so that it could hang on a wall...
or just place in a small easel for a table or desk.
For a quick tutorial on making the coordinating marble magnets, check this out!
Now Grandma and Grandpa can put 1, 2, or 3 photos to show off their cute little grandchildren who live so far away :).

Thank you, Michelle, for this wonderful opportunity to post on your AMAZING blog! Now come see my blog, Home Sweet Home, and the other fun projects I have waiting for you there.

THANKS, Brandy!!! What a fun frame! Easy to change out pictures in seconds and just so cute! Go visit Home Sweet Home to see more of Brandy's family friendly projects.

18 comments:

  1. Thanks a bunch Michelle, you are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great project Brandy! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this...so clever...and versatile...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the fact that you can change the picture so easy! This is so great! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is PRECIOUS!
    Great work!


    Thanks for linking up to Thrifty Thursday!

    Leigh

    Tales from Bloggertiaville

    www.lbratina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is absolutely adorable!!! I made something similar as a calendar

    http://floralshowers.com/scrapbook/calendar/

    but I only used magnet strips. I like actually having a metal plate instead! Cute idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How very cool! Love it!

    Thanks for joining my party Get your craft on Thurs. I hope you join me next week. Mr. Linky disappeared for a while tonight I thought I lost all of my guest, but it finally came back. I will not be using Mr. Linky anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! What a pretty way to be able to change pictures. Thanks so much for linking up to Finished for Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's amazing...thanks for the share and know how.

    My show n tell is all about Valentine stuff this week.

    HERE

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's so handy to be able to switch out pics!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome tutorial! don't ya just love Mod Podge? I'd be lost without it!

    ~ Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally LOVE this! I'm going to make my own now! How did you create the template for the galvanized steel & how did your husband buff it? I'd love to send you a pic when I'm all done! ~Becka

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally LOVE this! I am going to make my own this weekend! Could you tell me how you made the template for the galvanized steel and how your husband buffed it? I'd love to send you a pic of mine when it's done! ~Becka

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I always like to know what you think of the projects I highlight!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...