Tuesday, April 27, 2010

I'm Only A Week Behind!!!

So a little over a week ago, I hosted the Candlestick Categorically Crafting Show. Make sure you check out all the entries HERE. I didn't have any candlestick project to show, but I really wanted to!!! After seeing all the neat candlesticks ideas and the creativity in making some, I decided to try the dollar store (not the thrift store like I had been visiting in hopes of some cool candlesticks.) I found some an ugly candlestick waiting for me!!!!


I like the shape, but hate the paint. So I decided to spray paint it with some dollar store spray paint. It's probably not the best quality, but it was only a dollar!


Well, in most of the links and from what I see around the blog world, candlesticks are usually not by themselves. I decided I needed at least one more! I went back to the dollar store and bought two more. Cool Shapes! UGLY paint job!


I spray painted the second two candlesticks. I recommend doing at least two coats of paint.
Now I had three candlesticks all the same size. BORING. Wanting some height for one of them, I glued two of the candlesticks together using Gorilla Glue. (I forgot to take a picture of that!)

Here the candlesticks sit on my mantle along with my other LOVELY decor. Yep, a picture of the hubs and me on our wedding date, the two kiddos and the ceramics from the thrift store the kiddos painted. FYI, I know I am not a great decorator. We've only been in this house a little while and it is a "fixer upper." My energies are on remodeling other parts of the house at the current time. And we have no money to decorate!



I know you wanted to see a close up of the ceramic cow, goose and cat (from Left to right)! My kids are proud of their work and so am I!!!! They are my life!
Close up of my new candlesticks. I need to find something to fill in the gap between the two candlesticks when I glued them together. Any suggestions? Spackle?
Oh and don't you love the greenish/black color of paint? When we moved in, that whole room was (all four walls and the ceiling) was that color. It was cave with the dark trim, dark wood floor and green walls! I am painting this wall a lighter green in a month or two.
If you have any more candlestick posts, I think the linky is still open! Go HERE.
And don't forget the Categorically Crafting show this Friday is for crafts using toilet paper rolls!!!



Linking to: Funky Junk - Saturday Nite Special, Tatertots and Jello - Weekend Round-up




center>post signature

29 comments:

  1. Nice job!! Maybe some jute where they meet??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great makeover! You could wrap a wide piece of ribbon around the joint where the two meet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great!! It's magic what a little spray paint can do. Did you get those stick recently? I go in every Thursday after my daughters dance class and would love to makeover some for my bedroom. I Like the idea of jute or ribbon for a simple fix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have never thought to stack the candlesticks! Great idea!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great candlesticks! They would look great as the base of cake stands!

    ReplyDelete
  6. isnt spray paint a gift fromthe crafting gods? i love it!
    great candle sticks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I am jumping up and down over these! Great job....especially with dollar store paint it can be frustrating,
    Hugs,
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would tie a brown polka-dot ribbon around the middle!

    They look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you didn't want to go with the jute or ribbon idea and just wanted the two to look seamlessly attached, use painter's caulk.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute! Don't you love how paint tranforms the blah into something so cute?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job. $4 for 2 really great candle holders. LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would go with the ribbon idea or perhaps some pearl-ish beads glued all around the seam!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Paint is magic. Now your candlesticks look so classy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cute, I just love the spray paint - I like the ideas about wrapping a ribbon or jute around the meeting point. Thanks for linking up to Be Inspired!

    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  15. Reall great job! I wonder if my dollar store has these? I definitely have to run over and check!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an amazing piece of work you've created. And a great, great low cost.

    My show n tell is my "BLUE IRIS". I do hope you can find time to stop by and view the beauty!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! I saw those ugly candlestick holders in the dollar store. You did na amazing job with them, right down to stacking the two. Great job and great ideas.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful job.

    Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thursday! Please join me next week for another great party.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a hideous BEFORE! LOL! They look great white though! I definitely think you could wrap something around that part, or spackle & another coat of paint would work, too. DH added some to my blue candlesticks to fill a gap that formed when I dropped the big one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. At first glance, I was afraid the before was the after! lol Nice job - MUCH better! Dropping by from BNOTP.

    Allison
    Atticmag

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, cool candlesticks! You could use some inexpensive ribbon to fill that gap!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love what you did!!! they are beautiful! i saw recently where they used cheap strung beads, like a pearl christmas garland glued on a picture frame and it looks like the beaded moulding. i would spray the string of pearls fist and then glue it on and spray the whole thing again. you could repaeat the beads at the base to tie it in. whatever you do, they are beautiful. donna

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello! I am stopping by from the girl creative. I just love candle stick re-do! So fun and affordable.
    -Mama E
    www.homeandheartsblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those looks great!! I love the color and how they turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  25. super job! I love spray paint! and a good deal.
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  26. Isn't it so fun and fulfilling to take something that's not pretty and make it this pretty! These are great :)

    Thanks for linking at Lucky Star Lane!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Those candlesticks look so good on your mantle! Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I always like to know what you think of the projects I highlight!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...