Hi! My name is Gail. I repurpose. I DIY. I have a little blog called:
A year ago, I barely even knew what a blog was. While surfing the internet I ran across Joys of Home. Her blog not only inspired me to create, but also got me thinking about writing a blog. The rest as they say . . . is history.
I get my stuff wherever I can. I like thrift shopping, but I have a rule . . . nothing over $5.00. I am not a huge fan of going to yard sales, but in a pinch I will. I prefer to pick things up off the curb. Once word gets out that you like junk, it seems like junk finds YOU! I never know when I may pull in the driveway and find
stuff, junk, treasures left on my doorstep by friends and family!
I am not a decorator. In fact, I know next to nothing about putting pretties together. My daughter, Jamie, once complained to me that she can’t buy me gifts like other mom’s get (ie scarves and such). I am not a girly girl at all. I would rather be sawing, drilling and nailing something. Enough about me! Let’s get on with a project you’re going to love!
I swapped them out, making two identical pieces.
This is the piece I am using for this project.
I used a jigsaw to remove some of the spindles. I could have cut them in the middle or pulled them out, but I wanted the end pieces to stay put, so I wouldn’t have to fill the holes left behind.
I attached the box to the crib end using wood glue and my nail gun.
The lumber I used for the box and shelves was “cull bin” lumber. (Home Depot) The cull bin is sort of like OOPS in the paint department. It is leftover lumber that people didn’t want. They are sold by colors. These were all painted green on the ends. Green is only paid .51 cents for each board. For this project I used 7 boards for a total of about $3.50.
I really had no “plan” in place. I sort of just made it up as I went along. After attaching the box, I decided it needed some trim. I added the last board on the top, with it overlapping in the front.
You can see it a little better in this picture.
I added some scrap crown molding to the top and the bottom to trim it out.
Because I’m a “use what you have” kind of girl, I had to piece the crown molding. Do you see that it doesn’t quite match up on this corner? Not one of my best miter cuts, but not to worry. Because I mess up frequently, I know just how to fix such problems.
I simply sanded it down to smooth it out. Voila! Look at all of those nail holes. They are NOT all mine! Seriously! Look to the right and you will see that I had to use two pieces on the bottom, because I didn’t have a piece long enough.
I used some scrap shoe molding to the front of the shelves to make a little lip. This will help keep plates from falling off.
Here she is all painted up, ready to be adorned with beautiful plates, cups and saucers.
This is the corner that was not mitered perfectly and the place where I had to have two pieces of trim butt up against each other.
I set it on top of my window display cabinet to take pictures.
I want to thank Michelle for inviting me over! I love Someday Crafts! I have been a follower for quite a while now. I love it every time Someday Crafts pops into my Google reader! I know I’ll never miss a single scrumptious post! Michelle also has a great Link Party on Wednesdays! You rock, Michelle!
Linking to Finding Fabulous, Romantic Home -Show and Tell Friday, Miss Mustard Seed -Furniture Feature Friday, Lit and Laundry - Finished For Friday, The Inspired Room, Remodelaholics Anonymous, Poppies At Play - Creative Cats , Crafts In Bloom, Kojo Designs - Friday Fun Finds, Fingerprints on the Fridge - Feature Yourself Friday. The Girl Creative - New Friend Friday, That's So Cuegly - Craft Concoction, Sweet Charli