Thursday, August 12, 2010

Back 2 School Binder Cover and Pencil Case

The following two ideas are from Heather at Me Making Do.
She hosted her own school week last week. You should check out the great ideas on her blog too!
************************************************************************


Today I will be sharing a few ideas I had for Binder Organization. We can all use a little more organization - especially for our kids!!!

WARNING: I am not a great sewer in fact I'm still new at sewing so don't be to harsh on me here I did have something else planned but you get me! (SORRY)!!!

The Binder Pencil Pouch



I think it turned out pretty cute myself even I'm my sewing skills and designing skills are beginner!

To make this you will need these supplies:

Outer fabric I used canvas
Lining fabric
Zipper the size you need or larger and you can trim it down
Ribbon
Click on the pictures to enlarge

1. Cut out two of each lining fabric and outer fabric 6"x10" each

2. If you want to embellish the front of your pouch here is where you will before sewing it all together.

3. More embellishement I embroidered a cute little bird.

4. Sandwich a lining piece and outer piece of fabric wrong sides together.

5. Lay your zipper across the top of your fabric and mark where you want your zipper to end. Not pictured add a zig zag stitch with your sewing machine.

6. Pin your zipper to the top of your sandwiched fabric and sew in place.

7. Repeat with the opposite side and sew zipper in place (I forgot to do this but here is where I would turn and sew the zipper down on the front and back of the binder).

8. Lay binder paper on top of the pouch and mark where you want your ribbon (these will be your rings to attatch to the binder rings).


9. Cut three pieces of ribbon the same length I did mine two 2.5" but next time I think I would do it a tad shorter.

10. Sandwich both lining pieces and outer pieces together, right sides together and pin in place.

11. Sew around both pieces leaving a three inch opening in the lining fabric for turning your pouch, trim corners. You can see were I have the pins to sew this piece closed in the next step.

12 Turn pouch the right direction pull out the lining and sew together the opening.


I embroidered around the top where I forgot to sew the zipper in step 7 which turned out cute so you can do this as well if you'd like.



Enjoy your finished Binder Pencil Pouch! My daughter loves hers!

Come back later today and all week to see some fun tutorials!!!!


Ready for a tutorial?

Part 2 of the Binder organizer is ....

The Binder Cover


Supplies needed:

Three ring binder
craft paper or newspaper
Fabric canvas and decorative cotton
Iron on fusible webbing.

Lets get started...


1. Open your binder on top of the paper you are using for your pattern, trace around the binder.

2. Cut out your pattern remember to add space for your seam allowance. Cut out two pattern pieces from canvas and one from your decorative cotton and one from fusible webbing.


3. Add a piece of fabric however you want or you can leave the front blank my strip is four and a half inches wide and the length of the front piece. I just ironed aunder each edge 1/4 inch and stiched on top of the front piece.

4. Cut one of the canvas pieces in half length wise and the cotton, these are your inside pieces.


5. Fold your cotton pieces in half and iron down and stitch down the folded edge. These will be your inside pockets. If you want to add another pocket here is where you add one. I did a 5x5 square of canvas.

6. Place your inside pockets on top of the two iside canvas pieces wrong sides facing eachother, fold under on opposite edges 1/2 Inch and sew down.


7. If you want handles add them now. I cut 3 inch wide strip of canvas to make mine

8. Lay inside pieces on top of your outside piece with your pocket pieces facing eachother in the middle. Notice in the picture I sewed my pockets to the wrong side of my inside pieces so I had to take that all out and restitch it on the right side. Make sure you sew yours to the right side :). Pin each piece in place and stitch around all the edges of the holder.


9. Trim off corners and turn your cover so the right side is showing.


Admire your cover


I forgot to stitch around my bird now I will have to do it by hand. Oh well.


Place your binder in your cover


Add your Binder Pencil Pouch your papers and a cute note in your little pocket!


Cute, hu?

Don't forget if you make one to add it to the flicker group Here. Tomorrow will be some guest posts with some fun ideas come back and check them out!
Thanks to Me Making Do for sharing these two Back 2 School ideas with us!

6 comments:

  1. You did great for a beginner sewer! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great idea! I love that you shared it. Thank you.

    www.emilyguerra.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Heather!

    You rocked this!!!! Always take the chance, this binder and pencil case are awesome!!!

    Michelle
    Alabama

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for featuring these and thanks for the sweet comments everyone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving all the Back to School projects and talent you've collected! They're fabulous! I'll be linking.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I always like to know what you think of the projects I highlight!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...