Sunday, December 4, 2011

Guest Blogger - Diary of a Quilter - Felt Circles Pillow



I'm reposting one of my favorite Christmas guest posts! Not only do I love the blogger and the pillow, but also the technique that was used. Happy gluing!!!!!



Diary of a Quilter


I am so excited to be hanging out at Someday Crafts today! I am a huge fan of Michelle - she rocks and I feel so honored that she invite me to visit.



My name is Amy Smart and my little blog is called


It is where I like to write and share pictures of my granny-hobby of making quilts. (It's rather funny - I used to be so embarrassed to have people I met find out that I liked to make quilts, but somehow I don't have issues sharing it with all of cyber space.) But please don't pigeon-hole me - I like all kinds of other crafty fun. And because I'm lazy efficient, I like to make things quick and easy and I like to make it simple enough for others to join in.


Here are a couple of the tutorial projects on my blog. Some are even non-sewing!




Here is a quick and easy tutorial for a magnetic pin dish. The possibilities with this one are endless - it would make a great Christmas gift for any sewer, for teachers as a paper clip holder, etc.




This is a quick and simple (and cute) way to mend all the holes in your kids' jeans.


(We have had a recent epidemic of knee-holes.)




And if you are looking to pick-up my favorite granny-hobby and want to learn the basics, I have an uber-beginning-quilting series with everything from finding supplies and fabric to sewing and finishing your first quilt!



Today I'm going to share a super-easy method for making a fun throw-pillow. This project is practically no-sew as well! I saw a throw like this last year in Crate & Barrell or Plow & Hearth, one of those magazines, and thought: I could make that. And now, you can too.




Here are your supplies: canvas fabric, felt for the circles, sharp scissors, Elmer's glue, DMC floss, and a biggish needle for embellishing, batting/stuffing and fabric for the pillow backing.




Gather the variety of felt you'd like to use. Scraps are great. I used mostly the el-cheapo felt from any craft/big-box sewing stores, but because I wanted a few more color options I bought a little bit of the nicer wool-felt from a quilt shop. Using a fine-tip Sharpie trace different circle shapes on the felt. Look around your house for a variety of circle sizes.




Cut the canvas to the size you want your finished throw pillow to be + at least 1/4" on all sides for seam allowance. I love the weight of the canvas fabric (I had some left over from this throw pillow last year) and it works really well for this project. Lay out the circles on the felt, playing with colors and size until you get a look that you like. (Pretend there isn't any embellishing on these circles yet - I got excited and forgot to take a picture of that part.)



Now pull out that Elmer's glue. I loved the way the Elmer's worked. Wasn't too heavy or messy (or hot), plus it's washable. Glue sticks won't work. (I tried it.) Apply a very small line around all the edges of the circle and a dab in the middle. YOU DON'T NEED MUCH! If you put too much on it could get bumpy and dry clumpy. A very little bit works great and won't show up like bumpy patches under the felt. The heavy canvas helps provide great stability. I was amazed how well these circles stuck. At first, I was just going to use the glue to hold things down temporarily and then sew them in place, but they stuck so well, I didn't need to sew!



Working with your circles already in position, pick-up one at a time and glue it in place. Start with the circles that aren't double or triple layered.



If you are going to embellish with any kind of stitching on the double/triple layered circles do it BEFORE you glue them to the canvas. I glued the small circles on top of the big circles and then embellished when the glue was dry. I used a simple running stitch, back stitch or whip-stitch (above.) This part is totally optional because that glue works!





When all circles are in place, cut a back to match your front. Pin on all sides. Leave a 5-6" opening on one side and sew the rest of the way around.





When done machine sewing, carefully clip corners before turning the pillow right-side out.





Generously stuff that pillow full and whip-stitch the opening shut and voila! A quick, fun little holiday throw-pillow! I made this so fast- one afternoon easily. I can't wait to try it in non-Christmas colors.


Thanks again to Michelle for having me today! It's been real and it's been fun AND it's been real fun!


THANK YOU, AMY!!! That is seriously a cute pillow! I could see that in a bedroom, living room or... anywhere. I also love that you used ELMER'S GLUE! How easy was that! What a great trick to know. Diary of A Quilter is an awesome blog. If you love quilting, you definitely should check it out weekly. If you want to learn to quilt, Diary of a Quilter is a great place to start. I also love her non-quilt projects too. Head over to Diary Of A Quilter to become a follower!

44 comments:

  1. I'm in love with this pillow! It's one of those "why didn't I think of that?" ideas. Super duper inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like this a lot. Definitely would love to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute pillow! Very festive.

    ~ The Speckled Dog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [29 Nov 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is ADORABLE! I would love for you to link this up on my blog for TALENT TUESDAY soon!

    Thanks for sharing!

    http://vintagewannabee.blogspot.com/

    Mucho love.
    Nichelle

    p.s. I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so fabulous! I made a holiday pillow too but it doesn't look as great as yours!!!

    I would be honored to have you add it to my blog party

    Amaze Me Monday Blog Party

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super fun and looks fantatsic and easy.What a great job you did there !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd love for you to come link this up over at Favorite Things Friday!

    http://thespeckleddog.blogspot.com/search/label/Favorite%20Things%20Friday

    ~ The Speckled Dog

    ReplyDelete
  9. That Amy is so SMART! Love her bright, happy pillow tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute!! I linked to your tutorial over at Craft Gossip Sewing.

    --Anne
    Editor, http://sewing.craftgossip.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thats great! Looks easy enough for a non-sewer, too :)

    www.uvinyl.com
    www.uvinyl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love this pillow!! Love the fun colors, love the stitching, love Elmer's glue!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another WONDERFUL guest post!! Thanks so much Michelle!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG... i am sooo making this one! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm bookmarking this. What a lovely pillow. You know, back in the 70s (and I know I'm dating myself here), we used to make all sorts of crafts out of felt and just loved doing it. Then this seemed to fall into disfavor. Your pillow is beautiful and an inspiration to me to make one for myself. Lovely. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE it and can't wait to try it myself! Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So cute! I just love it! Would love for you to visit me and link up to Made with Love Monday at Sew Chatty! http://sewchatty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooo, that's beautiful. I'm still not sure I'd call it *easy* though. Leastways, not for me. I see needles....thread....that's the hard stuff, right?!?! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Who knew something so cute could be so easy! I can't wait to try one!

    ReplyDelete
  20. WAY cute... and easy enough that it might go beyond me ogling it with jealousy in my eyes :) (I heart Amy - she's awesome!)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love that pillow! It looks pretty quick and easy but incredibly adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely Pillow idea! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Was looking for an idea for a Christmas pillow and this is soooo dang cute-I'm making this asap!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ditto to everyone above me: I love it! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This pillow is so fun, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I adore this pillow! I featured you both on CrazyDomestic.com today! Feel free to grab a "featured" button!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Well, if this doesn't say "festive" I don't know what would! Very cute and happy. Thanks so much.

    Leslie S. in MN
    esclante at comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete
  28. WAY CUTE! Love it & I'm bookmarking this for when I have some down time!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love it! Such a great and "doable" project.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love the pillow, what a great use for scraps, and something my kids can help with!

    Taylor
    www.maryjanesandgaloshes.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Cute. I love the pillow. It turned out amazing! Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Amy - your pillow is so fun and festive! Thansk Michelle for linking to the party - I greatly appreciate it! I featured these today - stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Hope you have a lovely week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  33. Totally love this fun pillow, (and Amy)! I'm featuring it over at Look What I Made today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I absolutely love that pillow! It is so awesome!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. very cute! I seriously doubt I could whip it out fast though, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love this! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I always like to know what you think of the projects I highlight!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...