My little girl loves rainbows right now. She usually refuses to wear anything I make her, but was begging for a rainbow dress, so I happily obliged!
This was such a FUN and EASY dress to make, and my Dolly loves it!
a tank that fits the child well
several old shirts/tanks for the dress
Use a zig zag or stretch stitch around waist to avoid broken threads
I started with a pile of my old shirts and tanks and laid them out in order to get a feel for how it would look. This isn't your traditional primary color rainbow, but a bit of warmer tones!
- I started by cutting the pink tank top 1" below the arm hole.
- I cut the next layer (orange) 2 1/2" and made sure the length (sewn together) matched the tank
- Pin right sides together and stitch
- Yellow, green, and blue were all cut at 4" and a width of 2x her waist. Some of my tanks weren't wide enough to do the width in two cuts, so there are multiple seams in each row!
- Stitch these together
- The Bottom Purple ruffle was cut at 5" tall and the width was 2 1/2 times her waist
- Fold over for a clean seam on the bottom and sew the three edges together (two purples and the blue)
- Sew a gathering stitch along the top yellow layer and pin to the orangeband.
And come visit me at It's Sew For You!!!
THANKS, MELISSA for the great rainbow dress tutorial. What little girl wouldn't love a comfy t-shirt dress in the form of a rainbow! Great idea.
Visit Its Sew For You to see more awesomeness!