Friday, December 9, 2011

Ruffle T-Shirt Cuff - Guest Blogger - Sweet Lemonayde (An 8th Grader!!!)


Every onece in a while, I come across a blog I'm astounded by for one reason or another.  I'm totally impressed by the following blogger because she is...... in 8th grade!!!!  That's right!  Totally talented!  Totally young!  AND Totally going to be a craft rockstar when she is my age!   I asked her to guest post so I could help her rise to stardom:)   Welcome, Naomi!!!

Hey readers of Someday Crafts! I am so honored to be here. I'm Naomi (or Nay) from Sweet Lemonayde. I'm a teen who loves to sew, knit, read, write, play soccer and basketball--the list goes on.
Today I'm going to show you a tutorial on how to make a ruffled t-shirt cuff.








Materials: 2 different jersey knit fabrics (I used old t-shirt scraps. You can use whatever fabric you want, but jersey-t-shirt like fabric doesn't fray), needle and thread, scissors, measuring tape, pins, ribbon (optional)
Measure around your wrist and multiply by 2. Cut out a strip of fabric for your ruffle that length by 2."



Use a running stitch and baste at the top of your strip. When you're done, tie a knot a couple inches from the end and cut the thread. Sew another line of stitches going in the same direction on the bottom, opposite the top. Tie off the end and cut.








Grab the two tails, and pull so it ruffles. Pull it till it bunches up to the size of your wrist, minus 1." Take the thread tails and tie knots as close as you can to the gathers so they don't un-ruffle.

Cut 2 strips of contrasting fabric, 2" by however long your ruffled piece is. (you can make the binding a bit longer, and at the end you can just trim the extra off) Now fold it in half. Fold it in half again, enclosing the top of the ruffle, hiding your basting. Use a running stitch to sew it over. Now repeat on the bottom.










For the ties, cut 2 strips from your t-shirt and pull them until they curl. Tie a knot at one end of your strip, and sew to the end of your bracelet, tacking it in place. Repeat on the other end.











Note: for added neatness use pins (*ahem*) and a sewing machine. Also, before you sew on the ties, you can hem the short ends. But I didn't because, as I said before, knit doesn't fray, and as I didn't say before, I'm lazy.


You're done! Enjoy your new bracelet! Thanks for having me! Come see my blog for more sewing tutorials, like my draped circle top tutorial. Thank you, Michelle! o(^__^o)


See!  I told you she was fabulous!  Hop over to Sweet Lemonayde to follow this 8th Grader in her craft blogging adventures!!!!!!

5 comments:

  1. I love it!!! Great job, dearest bestie of mine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing....Her Blog is so inspiring for us all...Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just a beautiful project and the tutorial is so easy to follow! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow :o She's only in eighth grade? She definitely puts me to shame. Great tutorial! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I always like to know what you think of the projects I highlight!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...