Tuesday, June 25, 2013

No-Sew Chevron Envelope Pillow Covers

I've got an easy project for you today that I'm completely in love with! Check out these no-sew envelope pillow covers that I whipped up.

 

The fabric comes from Shay at Simply Sweet Fabric, a cute, new shop on Etsy.
 
 
Simply Sweet Fabric is the newest sponsor of Someday Crafts, so go check them out. You're sure to find some cute fabric to add to your stash or for your next big project!
 
 
 

One of the hardest things for me while decorating my house is incorporating color. I love bright, cheery colors and want to use them more. However, when it comes to decorating, I tend to decorate with neutrals and err on the side of caution. So, one of my goals in our new apartment is to use more color. This fabric was just the ticket to add some fun to our living room!

The fabric I'm using for these pillows is the Lime Green Chevron from the Riley Blake line.

 

To make these pillows, you'll need:

 

-Old pillows
-Scissors
-Iron-on hem tape

These pillows came with our couch, but I hate them. Yes, hate. They're part microfiber and part leather. They're comfortable to lean on, but I just don't like them. However, I couldn't get rid of them because, well, we paid for them. And I'm cheap :) I've wanted to redo them for some time now, and I'm finally getting around to doing it.
 
Also, one yard *almost* covered both of my pillows. If I had only folded the hem once, it would have been perfect, but I chose to fold the hem over twice. I opted, instead, to add an extra panel of white fabric to hide the pillow's ugliness.

Start by cutting your fabric to size. My pillows are about 16" squared, so I just cut my fabric in half, so about 18" x 44" for each pillow.
 
To give the edges a more finished look, I used the hem tape on them first. To get a smaller hem, I cut the hem tape in half, then used it on the fabric.
 
 
 
Also, to get a clean hem line, I pressed the fabric first, then added the hem tape. I also folded it over to keep the hem line clean.

 
 
After doing both of the short edges of the pillow this way, I checked to make sure it would still fold around the pillow. It was just barely touching, but I knew there would probably be a gap after the pillow was stuffed in. It was at this point that I decided to add an extra panel of white fabric to keep the pillow hidden. I hemmed both of the long edges of this panel also, but only folded over once. I used a piece of fabric about 18" x 5".
 
 
I used the hem tape to attach the white panel to the chevron fabric. I didn't get a picture of this part, but I matched up the long end of the white fabric with a short end of the chevron fabric, and ironed. At this point, it doesn't matter which side the panel attaches to.
 
After ironing the fabric together, you want to turn the fabric right side up, and then fold the sides in so the chevron fabric overlaps slightly (or about 2-3 inches, depending on the size of your fabric and pillow). The overlap should be on top, not on the bottom. The wrong side of the fabric should be facing out after you fold it in.
 
 
 
 
 
Cut a piece of hem tape to size and place it between the right sides of the fabric. I put mine in about 1.25". Iron well. Once you get into the middle where the hems are, it takes more pressure and more heat to get the tape to stick.
 
 
Then you need to cut a piece to fit from where the chevron fabric overlaps in the middle to the outer edge of the white panel (or the end of the overlap, if your fabric is large enough). Iron around the hems really well again.
 
 
Make sure the hem tape is ironed well everywhere, and then turn it right side out. Without the pillow, you can't even see the extra panel.
 
 
 
 
It isn't until you get a pillow in there that you can see less than 1/2" of the white fabric. And since that side will (usually) be facing the back of the couch, I'm not worried about it. The first one took about 45 minutes to do, but after I figured out what I was doing, the second only took about 15 minutes! Yay for a quick project!
 
 
 
I'm in love with my new throw pillows!! But I think they need some friends. I definitely see more of these in my future!
 
 
 
If you're looking for gorgous, reasonably priced, fabric, you definitely need to check out Simply Sweet Fabric. The shipping was incredibly fast, although it only had to go from Utah to Idaho! It was clean, well cut, and in perfect condition.
 
Be sure to check back next week. I've still got the blue chevron fabric to use, so come see what else I create!
 
 
 
I received fabric from Simply Sweet Fabric in return for using it in a project and reviewing it on this blog. All opinions expressed in this post are my own.

7 comments:

  1. I love this idea! So simple but functional! I'm glad you shared it. Plus it is Chevron and no one can go wrong with chevron! I'd love for you to link to our Organize Me! Sizzlin' Summer Link Up Party at Get Your Crap Together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great tutorial! And pretty pillows!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm all for no-sew! I just linked a no-sew pillow cover this week too! (I used hot glue!). Your pillows are cute! I might have to try the fabric tape for my couch cushions - which are pretty ugly.... Thanks for the tutorial! Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing at the Say G'day Saturday linky party. This is my kind of project!

    This week's party has just started so please stop by and say g'day soon!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz
    www.natashainoz.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Recovering pillows is actually on my to-do list! Thanks for sharing at Party In Polka Dots!!

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love changing up my decor, and pillows seem to be one of the easiest and cheapest ways to do so. Pillows are also such a great way to add pops of color and pattern that wouldn't otherwise be in a room . I love pillow cover.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I always like to know what you think of the projects I highlight!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...