Sunday, November 29, 2009

Guest Blogger - Cupkateer - Pottery Barn Pillows

Hi, it's Ananda from over at Cupkateer. I am excited to be guest posting on Someday Crafts today.

Don't we all look through the Pottery Barn catalogs and drool? I know I do. When I saw these pillows in PB Teen I knew I could make them for cheap!
PB version: $39


Cupkateer Version: $5


Ready to make your own? Let's get started!

Click on any of the images to make them bigger.

Scalloped Pillow

Begin by cutting the following sizes from your felt:

-17"x17"

-16"x16"

-17"x11"

-17"x11"

Step 1: Using your 16"x16" piece begin cutting your scalloped design.


Tip: I use a white crayon when marking dark colored fabric. Afterwards I use a pressing cloth and iron it. The crayon marks will stay on the pressing cloth, not your fabric.




Next you will be cutting out the center. I cut a piece of scrapbook paper to use as the pattern. Cut a opening 12" x 12"




Repeat the previous steps to make 2 more scalloped layers. With the following dimensions:

-11"x 11" square scalloped, 8" x 8" center

-7" x 7" square scalloped, 4" x 4" center

Then...




Next take your 17" x 11" pieces. Stitch a 1/2" hem along the 17" side.

Now we are going to sew the front and back pieces together.

First you will need to pin your scallops out of the way.



Now, with right sides together sew the 2- 17" x 11" pieces to the main 17" x 17" piece. Use a 1/2" seam allowance.


Clip your corners, turn, and insert a 16" square pillow form.



Flower Pillow

Begin by cutting the following sizes from felt:

17" x 17"

17" x 11"

17" x 11"

Scraps for flowers

Cut out your flower shapes. Click below to download my patterns.


Felt Pillow

height="500" width="100%" > value="http://d1.scribdassets.com/ScribdViewer.swf?document_id=23161424&access_key=key-4ng2qzwuwyqln1mq0hx&page=1&version=1&viewMode=list">


Stack the flowers using the following diagram. Tack down the center of the flowers.

Tip: I set my machine to a small zig zag, then dropped the feed dogs when I tacked the flowers down.



Next pin the flowers aside and add a leaf design in a contrasting thread. You can use a free motion foot, stitch them by hand, or eliminate this step.



After you've finished the leaves, tack down the petals



To finish, attatch the 17" x 11" pieces the same way as you did for the scalloped pillow.

Add a 16" square pillow form and you're done!


Not to shabby of a knock off if I do say so myself.


Thanks, Ananda!!! That was amazing!!! I would love to have some of those pillows on my daughter's bed. If you liked that tutorial, go check out Ananda's blog, Cupkateer, HERE. She has great ideas all the time.

post signature


31 comments:

  1. Wow. Those are a dead ringer! I don't get the PB Teen catalog. Too bad, 'cause clearly I am missing out on lots of great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GORGEOUS! I love them! Awesome tutorial too! Nice to meet you Amanda!

    Hi Michelle!

    Have a great week ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! I love those and you make it look so easy! Seriously want to try this one now..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incredible! I think that I will have to try them, my 11 year old daughter would love them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are great. they are going on my list of things to make this week. i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They turned out so cute. And the $ you saved. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tutorial. I promised my daughter we'd get to her bedrm. after Xmas. She has her eye on a PB design.
    @cheapchichome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I can't wait to make these for my daughter's apartment. They are adorable!

    Come by as I have begun my 3 weeks of crafts, gifts and decor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous!!! I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-pottery-barn-inspired-felt-pillow-covers/2009/11/30/

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a fantastic tutorial..and the pillows are BEAUTIFUL!! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, these are fabulous! Amazing job! I'll be linking...now off to check out Amanda's blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful pillows and a fantastic tutorial - I might have to try make one of those! You did a fabulous job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great knockoff! Thanks for the great tutorial too... I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for just giving me a great idea for one of my daughter's presents. She is re doing her room and these pillows will be so perfect for her. Love pb knock off's. cool.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my, those are fantabulous! God's blessings, Sarah :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super cute!...Thanks for the instructions...this would be great Christmas gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  17. very cute! we had a similar tutorial on my blog too! how fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are gorgeous, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I knew these could be done when I saw them! Very cute! Might have to make some myself.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the Pottery Barn look minus the Pottery Barn price!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very cool pillows! And wonderful tutorial! Thanks for linking up to SNS!

    FJ Donna

    ReplyDelete
  22. AHHHH!!! I love these!! I'm going to bookmark this one for the future! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. GREAT JOB! These are way cuter than PB! I so want to try these. Thanks for sharing.

    Jennie @ Cinnaberry Suite

    ReplyDelete
  24. This work is very very beuatiful.
    I love crafts.
    Bye Bye

    ReplyDelete
  25. I feel so dense! I had to read this three times before I realized this was for a 16" square pillow cover! I was thinking that you were making an actual pillow to stuff. I thought, why is there two 17"x11" pieces and one 17"x17" piece! LoL!

    Might wanna clarify that at the beginning for those of us who don't always notice the obvious!

    ReplyDelete
  26. These will be great for my daughter's dorm room!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awesome tutorial! Love those pillows!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Just love pottery barn stuff. I am sharing this on beadandcord.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I always like to know what you think of the projects I highlight!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...