Sunday, May 2, 2010

Guest Blogger - A Little Of This, A Little Of That, Anthro/Ballard Design Antiqued Mirror Knock-Off


I'm Sarah, and I'm super EXCITED to be a guest blogger here at Someday Crafts!
I check this site daily, and have found heaps of inspiration!

I'm a small town Texas girl, and love crafting, decorating and sewing. Whenever my two munchkins aren't keeping me busy, I try and squeeze in a little "project time"!

My blog is A Little of This, a Little of That


You'll find Home Decor How To's, Decorating on the cheap, Furniture re-do's, Sewing projects, and more!

Now, on to Today's How TO!

I love stuff that is worn and weathered. I think antique mirrors are so fun. They can be hard to find, and pricey. I loooove these from Anthropologie:

So neat, right? They are only $695.00. Yes, you read that right!


I was inspired by these in Ballard Designs:

I love the jute around the edges, and the leather strap. Would look great in my house!

Well, today I would loooove to show you how to make the Ballard Designs mirrors, with an antique twist.


Supplies Needed:

Mirror{s} (my mirrors are 18")
Jute or Twine
Paint Stripper
Muriatic Acid
Vinyl tubing
Gorilla Tape (or duck tape)
Black Paint (brush on or spray paint)
Neoprene Gloves
Face Mask
Glue Gun


WHERE to find your supplies:
  • Mirror{S}-most craft stores only sell mirrors up to 10". I ordered mine online, and found a large selection for a low price. ($6.99 each)

  • Jute or Twine-can be found at any craft store

  • Paint Stripper-head to your local home improvement store

  • Muriatic Acid-this is actually a pool cleaning chemical, and can be found at any home improvement store in the pool section ($6 for a gallon). Or if you know anyone with a pool or access to a high school chem lab, it could be free!

  • Vinyl Tubing-can be bought by the foot at your home improvement store. It is in the plumbing section ($1.20 per foot)

  • Gloves/Face Mask-you WILL need these! ($4 for both @ Lowe's)

  • Glue Gun-you should already have one of these :)


A precaution: Muriatic Acid is the same thing as hydrochloric acid. It is perfectly safe to use if YOU are careful. Never ever use this around children or pets. Wear gloves, a mask, goggles, and shoes! This stuff can dissolve rocks. It is dangerous if not used properly! BE CAUTIOUS!

FYI: A little about the anatomoy of a mirror. It is glass (or plastic) with a reflective film, and then paint on top of that film to protect it from scratching.

Steps to an AWESOME antiqued mirror


1. Liberally apply paint stripper to the back of the mirror, and let it sit for
10 mins.


2. Wipe off the paint stripper, and most of the paint should come off; rub
or scrape hard if needed!


3. Wipe off mirror with a dry towel.


4. Fill a spray bottle with Muriatic acid, and lightly spray where you want the
acid to EAT THROUGH the reflective coating.



5. Watch your mirror; the acid works fast. Wipe off any excess acid as
soon as you get the results you want. (the blue arrows show the dark
spots where the acid ate through the reflective coating)


6. Scratch up your mirror some with something sharp. I found that scratch
marks added a nice touch to the "acid burns"

7. Wipe the mirror down thoroughly with a wet towel. This will prevent the
acid from continuing to eat the reflective coating.

8. Allow the mirror to air dry for 10 mins or so.

9. Spray paint or brush paint the back of your mirror black.

10. After the paint dries, enjoy your Antiqued Mirror!




Steps to a Ballard Designs {knock off} Frame!

Measure vinyl tubing to fit around mirror (this will be your "frame")
Tape ends together securely


Watch your munchkin run away with your project........

Being wrapping "frame" with jute or twine.


Hot glue jute/twine every so often for stability.


Glue your "frame" on top of your antiqued mirror (I used Gorilla Glue)


I cut up one of my husband's old belts to use for the strap (looooovin the look of this leather!)


Add a leather strap to hang (to really "knock off" BD!)



Hang up and ENJOY!

Ballard Designs Mirror: $139.00
Anthropologie Antiqued Mirrors: $695.00


My {antiqued & awesome} Mirror: $15.50


Stop on by A Little of This, A Little of That for more fun projects!


Wahoo! THANKS, Sarah!!!! I've always wondered how to remove that reflective finishing off a mirror and now I know!!! THIS MIRROR is a great knock-off! Look at it on your wall! Amazing! I would much rather do this myself than pay the outrageous price!

If you haven't visited A Little of This, A Little of That you are missing out! Every project Sarah creates is unique and stellar. Her projects aren't already all around the blog world. I promise if you go visit and look through the archives you will find amazing projects! Go HERE to A Little Of This, A Little Of That to become a follower and to be inspired!



Linking to Finding Fabulous, Romantic Home -Show and Tell Friday, Miss Mustard Seed -Furniture Feature Friday, Lit and Laundry - Finished For Friday, The Inspired Room, Remodelaholics Anonymous, Poppies At Play - Creative Cats , Crafts In Bloom, Kojo Designs - Friday Fun Finds, Fingerprints on the Fridge - Feature Yourself Friday. The Girl Creative - New Friend Friday, That's So Cuegly - Craft Concoction, Sweet Charli







post signature


35 comments:

  1. Very creative - you did a nice job. Dropping by from BNOTP.

    Allison
    Atticmag

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok-I love that- what a great idea- Im a BIG Ballard Designs fan- my home is inspired by a lot of there stuff- so i will give that a try.
    Karryann

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tutorial! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a completely awesome project. I love how it was done and better yet I love the $15.50 price tag! Thanks for sharing this with us.

    Holly
    504 Main

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the look of a patina'd mirror!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous! I love a good knockoff and the munckhin is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. THANK YOU! This is SUCH great information!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like this idea. Thank you for the step-by-step instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there! I just happened across you cute blog! Love your crafty mirror! although i am not the crafty one my hubby is and I just show him something or have something in my brain and he makes it! I am here through between naps on the porch. I can see you have tons of followers, so just add me to the tons! LOL I am past the stay at home mom stage and working to get retired! LOL os no time to craft...unless it is crocheting and I am sitting watching tv! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [03 May 03:00pm GMT]. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job! I love pretty and cheap. Great combo.

    Partying with you tonight. Stop by for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this! What a great unique project!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Sarah, I admire your dedication to antiquing your mirror. I can say though, it is too big a job for me. Then, you are young and I am old. I enjoyed the process very much and you did a great job guest blogging today.

    Hugs, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cool idea! I'm already thinking of other ways I could use that frame! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, I just hopped over to see what Sarah had done, and I love your site! I'll be back lots, I can promise you that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, thanks for the tips. I love the patina of an old mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this idea. I have an antique mirror with lots of patina that needs some new framing, now you've got me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMgosh - this is too gorgeous! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a difference in cost, I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the tarnished antique mirror look and gotta love the price! Great instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I.LOVE.THIS!
    And you are yet someone else who needs an Etsy shop. For real! No, really.

    Well done! I LOVE IT!!! And will share and give link love to you on my Friday post!
    Thanks for linking up to Thrifty Thursday!
    Leigh, Bloggeritaville
    www.lbratina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a neat idea. So pretty!

    I'm hosting a blog party on Saturday and I'd love it if you linked up! http://www.iamalongfortheride.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great tip for the mirror.
    I personally don't want to antique my mirror...but have been looking for a solution to frame it. (it's round)This works. The leather belt is fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this, Hope I don't fry my fingers off HA! I love your blog and I am now a follower. I am a newbie and would love some followers or would be honored if you would just take a peek at my new blog filled with DIY, tip, tricks, and secrets!
    thepolkadotcloset.blogspot.com/ Thank You so much Carol

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love that you can something like this done with little ones afoot (when the hydrochloric acid is put away, of course!) Great job - interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great job, it is interesting to know that people like the old mirrors. i have flea market booths and sometimes I pass up old mirrors that are too "marred" now i know some people think they are chic. great job, stop in for a visit sometime
    hugs,
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a savings for a 'do it yourselfer'! I like it.


    My Show n Tell is "A VERY 'FAMOUS' PERSON AUTOGRAPHED HIS BOOK FOR ME"

    Do come see who it is, won't you? Happy Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love it! Thanks for the tutorial! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow! You are so creative to have thought of this! Great tutorial. I am putting this on my to do list! Thanks for sharing with Sweet Charli!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is awesome, thanks so much. I have always loved the look of antique mirrors and now I may just go nuts with the mirrors in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Very nice! I am looking for this type of info and sometimes I get lucky like today...:-). Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I always like to know what you think of the projects I highlight!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...