Sunday, May 23, 2010

Guest Blogger -Mini Eats - Miniature Ice Cream Cone Charm

.
Hi Everyone! I'm Allie from the blog, Mini Eats.



I am a miniaturist. What is that, you ask? I make miniature objects (mostly food) using polymer clay.


I believe that what sets my miniature food apart from all the rest is the immense amount of detail I put into each and every piece I create. Each mini has a piece of my heart and I have a lot of heart to give!

I told my second grade students about this feature I was writing and now they all believe I am famous. It’s funny how you see your life going down one path (being a teacher) and it can veer off (becoming a miniaturist) when you least expect it. I think the most amazing part of creating Allie’s Minis is that it gives me the flexibility to be the creative mini-making artist I am, and be the fun-loving, hard-working second grade teacher I strive to be everyday.


In terms of this tutorial, ice cream is one of my all-time favorite comfort foods. I worked at a local ice cream parlor for most of my high school career. I believe all the time I spent around ice cream has lead me to include immense detail in my mini ice cream cone!

If you like this tutorial and would like to see my other items for sale, please take a peek at my Etsy store here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Alliesminis


You can find my blog here: http://minieatsalpal.blogspot.com/


Thank you so much for browsing my work! Your support means the world to me!


Tools materials:
Sandpaper
Dark brown polymer clay
Light brown polymer clay
X-acto knife
Tool with flat edge
Tool with bumpy sides (for the cone detail)



Step-by-step directions for:
Chocolate Ice Cream Cone

1. Make a small ball of brown clay. Roll the ball until its smooth and it is about ½ inch thick.










2. Roll out a small ball of light brown clay.

3. Push one side of the ball onto a hard surface. Create a triangular shape out of the clay. Roll and pinch as needed.











4. Using theX-acto knife, cut off the rounded edges.

















5. Roll light brown clay on surface that resembles cone marks.






















6. Roll brown clay around rough surface. I use sandpaper.











7. Push down on edges of ice cream all the way around.







8. Attach light brown ice cream and dark brown ice cream. Tah Dah!













See how cute and mini they are!!! That's a match in the background. Attach jewelry rings to make into charms for necklaces, bracelets and earrings.

























Wow! Those ice cream cones are CUTE!!!! They are so dainty and detailed! You should see the rest of her miniature creations at Allie's Minis and Mini Eats! Makes me want to wear food necklaces around all day (if only the clay was flavored). Visit Allie's blog HERE and her Etsy Shop HERE to be amazed with what Allie creates!

Linking to Finding Fabulous, Romantic Home -Show and Tell Friday, Miss Mustard Seed -Furniture Feature Friday, Lit and Laundry - Finished For Friday, The Inspired Room, Remodelaholics Anonymous, Poppies At Play - Creative Cats , Crafts In Bloom, Kojo Designs - Friday Fun Finds, Fingerprints on the Fridge - Feature Yourself Friday. The Girl Creative - New Friend Friday, That's So Cuegly - Craft Concoction, Sweet Charli







post signature

25 comments:

  1. These are so cute! I wish I would of saw them last week so I could make them for our ice cream party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How totally adorable!!!! My daughter would LOVE these. I wonder if I have the patience to make these???

    www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow those are so fun! They look so real, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are seriously talented and these ice cream charms are totally adorable. They look....lickable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love making polyclay miniature so i really enjoyed this tute,very easy and super cute

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! Your work is so realistic! I really want ice cream now. =) Thanks so much to both of you, I'll be linking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are so very cute. Why is it that women love things miniature?

    ReplyDelete
  8. They really turned out cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, what a very cute idea, my granddaughter would love these. Thank you for sharing!
    Hugz,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. that is TOO cute!!! thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are adorable. What attention to detail!

    I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Visiting from life in the pitts~ what a darling little ice cream cone! I used to get the american girl magazine when I was young and I just loved seeing the miniature things they'd come up with. So fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great project and tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow so darling, thanks for sharing! visiting from sumo's...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whoa, that is crazy! The food looks so real. She definitely has a talent.

    Thank you for participating in the Creative Therapy session over at Life in the Pitts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very impressive!! I checked out Mini Eats blog and was in awe of these cute little charms!!! I featured this on my friday favorites!!
    http://lilbitofus.blogspot.com/2010/05/friday-favorites_28.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great craft. I am going to have to try my hand at polymer clay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Soooo cute! Oh gosh.. look at those little cakes! Amazing detailed work.

    Thanks for linking it up to SNS!
    FJ Donna

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh gosh they are so cute, thanks for sharing the creative inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I always like to know what you think of the projects I highlight!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...