Saturday, July 30, 2011

Guest Blogger - Cupkateer - Pottery Barn Inspired Felt Pillows


Since I didn't have a guest post scheduled for today, I thought I would re-run one of my most popular guest posts ever. This was one of the first guest posts on my site and it is amazing!


Hi, it's Ananda from over at Cupkateer.

I am excited to be guest posting on Someday Crafts today.


Don't we all look through the Pottery Barn catalogs and drool? I know I do. When I saw these pillows in PB Teen I knew I could make them for cheap!


PB version: $39







Cupkateer Version: $5






Ready to make your own? Let's get started!

Click on any of the images to make them bigger.




Scalloped Pillow




Begin by cutting the following sizes from your felt:


-17"x17"
-16"x16"
-17"x11"
-17"x11"


Step 1: Using your 16"x16" piece begin cutting your scalloped design.








Tip: I use a white crayon when marking dark colored fabric. Afterwards I use a pressing cloth and iron it. The crayon marks will stay on the pressing cloth, not your fabric.













Next you will be cutting out the center. I cut a piece of scrapbook paper to use as the pattern. Cut a opening 12" x 12"











Repeat the previous steps to make 2 more scalloped layers. With the following dimensions:


-11"x 11" square scalloped, 8" x 8" center

-7" x 7" square scalloped, 4" x 4" center




Then...








Next take your 17" x 11" pieces. Stitch a 1/2" hem along the 17" side.

Now we are going to sew the front and back pieces together.

First you will need to pin your scallops out of the way.










Now, with right sides together sew the 2- 17" x 11" pieces to the main 17" x 17" piece. Use a 1/2" seam allowance.






Clip your corners, turn, and insert a 16" square pillow form.











Flower Pillow



Begin by cutting the following sizes from felt:




17" x 17"

17" x 11"

17" x 11"



Scraps for flowers



Cut out your flower shapes. Click below to download my patterns.


Felt Pillow




height="500" width="100%" > value="http://d1.scribdassets.com/ScribdViewer.swf?document_id=23161424&access_key=key-4ng2qzwuwyqln1mq0hx&page=1&version=1&viewMode=list">



Stack the flowers using the following diagram. Tack down the center of the flowers.




Tip: I set my machine to a small zig zag, then dropped the feed dogs when I tacked the flowers down.



Next pin the flowers aside and add a leaf design in a contrasting thread. You can use a free motion foot, stitch them by hand, or eliminate this step.







After you've finished the leaves, tack down the petals





To finish, attatch the 17" x 11" pieces the same way as you did for the scalloped pillow.

Add a 16" square pillow form and you're done!





Not to shabby of a knock off if I do say so myself.





Thanks, Ananda!!! That was amazing!!! I would love to have some of those pillows on my daughter's bed. If you liked that tutorial, go check out Ananda's blog, Cupkateer, HERE. She has great ideas all the time.


****Update 7-30-2011 Unfortunately, Cupkateer is no longer blogging, but there are quite a few amazing tutorials left on her blog!****


4 comments:

  1. What a great post!! These will look so great in my daughter's room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good tutorial! Love your pillows.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so great!! I love Pottery Barn and it is not always in my budget!!

    xoxo
    Karena

    Art by Karena

    Exciting New $150 Giveaway from Dr Perricone! Artful Beauty from the inside and out! Come and Enter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are just beautiful! I always love a good PB knock-off. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I always like to know what you think of the projects I highlight!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...